There was an article about copyrights. France prepares to welcome a new super hero :
Super Hadopi ...

Well ...
This morning, she gave the newspapers again. This time, the article was about the "new theatres" ... Understand by those two articles that September, in France, will be the first month of war against peer-to-peer !
The reason why I do not believe in this two articles is that Peer-to-Peer is 11 years old now.
Isn't it a little bit to late ??!!
I know that my reaction is sad and hopeless, but what can I say ?
Since the beginning of French debates for a law against P2P (first it was DADVSI and now HADOPI), I have the feeling that our politicians have no idea of what THE REAL PROBLEM is !
The reason why I do not believe in this two articles is that Peer-to-Peer is 11 years old now.
Isn't it a little bit to late ??!!
I know that my reaction is sad and hopeless, but what can I say ?
Since the beginning of French debates for a law against P2P (first it was DADVSI and now HADOPI), I have the feeling that our politicians have no idea of what THE REAL PROBLEM is !
Peer-to-peer is really dangerous and kill the creation.Hadopi is based on our French IP address.
But guys, 11 years ago, a guy was able to create a server on the Internet, server that his friends and him could use to share different files (in the beginning it was because one of his friend wanted to share some hip-hop tunes with another one !)
If he was able to do that 11 years ago, don't you think that now, people will be able to change their IP address, or hide them, or or or ??
Plus, for the music, what is the real problem ?
Why people prefer downloading a song rather than buying the CD ??!!
In France, and I guess it's the same in other countries, before finding any album of an international artist, this one must have signed a licence (well his record company must sign a licence contract with a French one)
That can take time, or, worst, never happen ! Specially when it's an unknown independent artist ! Ouch !!
At home, my parents subscribed for TV by satellite (well, it's because my Dad is an engineer in broadcast by satellite). So, thanks to that, we have a lot of international TV channels. And this, gives me the opportunity to discover a lot of "new artists", when it's a musical TV show, or a foreign series with a great soundtrack (like True Blood or Sons of Anarchy ...)
Because of my studies and internships, I subscribed to many professional websites and newsletters, French and foreign. Thanks to that, I also can read about "new artists".
TV, Internet, whatever, let me discovering new artists. But I never know if I'll find the album in France... And if I find it the stores, or iTunes give me only 20 seconds to listen a song ... OUCH !!
My first thesis was about the relationships between Internet and the Disc. I wanted to understand WHY the people preferred to download rather than buy.
So, I investigated.
For my investigation, I wrote a survey that was asking "WHY????"
I sent it to all my friends, family, co-workers. Everybody !
Majority answered :
- because I heard about this artist and can't find the CD in France.
- I want to listen freely this album before buying it.
F.Y.I, in France, we don't have a lot of legal website to listen freely music, like Lastfm.com. We had some, and they closed, because of copyrights. Other opened since, but, I have to admit that it's not very good ... (ok, it's because I'm very fussy, the artists or songs that I'm looking for... well never find it ...)
Another answer was :
- because a CD is very expensive (around €20), sometimes it's just a 8 track record, or there is only one good song and the others are bad ! I don't want to pay !
I HATE THAT ANSWER !!!!
Ok, a CD can be expensive, €20...
Specially when it's a 8 track CD, or when there is "only one good song on it" !
Ok, you prefer to listen to the entire CD before buying it, that's Ok, I do the same !
But what is €20 ?
- the artist/band record songs in a studio, this studio is a rent and has to be maintained.
- the artist/band use instruments, this is another maintain and investments.
- the artist/band work with different engineers, they need a salary, don't they ?
- the artist/band record a master, and this master needs to be mixed and then to be duplicate to become the CD.
- the master needs a cover, so an illustrator (and so salary) or photoshoot (and so studio or another place, and a photographer, and so, salary)
... (after that there is also all the promotion/communication around the CD ... sooooooo expensive !!! - it was my second thesis "How to have a good promotion for an album, without money ! - )
I think that with all those spendings, a CD can be sold €20, even if it's a 8 track CD.
Everytime the artist sells a CD, a part of the €20 goes back to the production, to him and to the future tour.
If people keep downloading:
no more money, no more production, no more tours !
The "€20 for just one song" excuse is bullshit !
Today, almost all the songs can be downloaded one by one on every legal websites !
Since a year or two, French record companies heard this "€20 is too expensive" and reduced the price of the CD.
When the CD is a novelty, it price is around €13 or €15 during 3 months. After that, you pay it €20 or more. And then, around 10 months later, you can buy it €7, 9 or 10. And you can find some offers "one for 10, 3 for 20" ...
Believe me, since the first day of that kind of sale, my bank account is empty !
I admit downloading. But I keep the files the time I listen to the album.
If I like it, I delete them and buy the CD, in stores or via a website like amazon or whatever.
The second article was about cinema, and you know what ?
I don't believe in it at all.
Let me explain.
They were presenting "new theatre halls" with better seats, more place between the rows, 3D movies, blah blah blah. And, they were saying "That will bring the public back to the theatre, they will stop downloading movies !"
WTF ?
Why people are downloading movies (or series) ?
Because of the price ?
Yes and no.
I think that people accept to pay around €9 (or 10 or 12) to watch a movie.
I think that, with that price, they don't think about the production of the movie (almost the same, but more expensive) but think about the theatre hall, and all it equipment and maintain.
So why ?
To me. Because of TIME !!
You hear about a movie (a foreign one) and want to see it. You will have to wait around 6 months between the release in the English countries (if it's an American movie) and the release in France. Sometimes, you can wait more, or never see it in theatre ! And forget about seeing it in it original version ! It's barely impossible ! Whatever the language is ! (Lucky me, one theatre in Versailles broadcast the movies only in their original versions !! English, Italian, Spanish, German, everything !!!)
And that's why, week after week, I hate a little bit more French cinemas ! How many time did I find the French version sooooooooo bad !! A movie (or series) can lost so much with a bad dubbing !
I think that I'm a serieshoolic.
Here is my problem :
- SOA : France ended season 1 a year ago, and I think they never talked about the 2nd... The 3rd will begin next week in the US.
- True Blood : France ended season 1, I think they didn't begin the 2nd on paying channel ... The last episode of 3rd season is this Sunday in the US...
- Desperate Housewives : Canal + broadcast the 6th ... You have to pay for Canal+, M6 (free channel) broadcast 4th or 5th ... (5th I think) because Canal + had the exclusivity of the series and so, M6 has to wait ... Season 7 will begin in few weeks ...
- CSI : TF1 (free channel) stopped the broadcast in the middle of 9th ... They still broadcast the series, but in untidiness ... So nice to have season 7 followed by season 2 and then by season 4 ! (this year, it will be season 11 ! Ouch !)
- How I Met Your Mother : only on paying channel ... season 3 ...
- Gossip Girl : I think they finished the season 2 ...
Series are broadcast in French, only. Except some paying channel (satellite or cable) that, sometimes, gives you the choice to chose French or English ...
It's awful to wait one year or more when you're capture in the action and suspense ! In my opinion, this is WHY people are downloading series.
I feel that you want to ask why I'm not watching it on the websites of Fox or ABC or CBS... I tried, but those websites let you watch the series only if you're an American resident ! But believe me, if one day they open themselves to other countries that's what I'll do !!
France wants to "offer" new theatre and hopes to see the public back.
Did they really understood the problem ?
3D is the future ! And what if you can't see the 3D (my Mum cannot see it because of her view trouble !)
Anyway. I'm tired of reading those articles, because everytime I'm reading a new one saying "this is the solution" I think "did they really understand the problem, this time ?"
If he was able to do that 11 years ago, don't you think that now, people will be able to change their IP address, or hide them, or or or ??
Plus, for the music, what is the real problem ?
Why people prefer downloading a song rather than buying the CD ??!!
In France, and I guess it's the same in other countries, before finding any album of an international artist, this one must have signed a licence (well his record company must sign a licence contract with a French one)
That can take time, or, worst, never happen ! Specially when it's an unknown independent artist ! Ouch !!
At home, my parents subscribed for TV by satellite (well, it's because my Dad is an engineer in broadcast by satellite). So, thanks to that, we have a lot of international TV channels. And this, gives me the opportunity to discover a lot of "new artists", when it's a musical TV show, or a foreign series with a great soundtrack (like True Blood or Sons of Anarchy ...)
Because of my studies and internships, I subscribed to many professional websites and newsletters, French and foreign. Thanks to that, I also can read about "new artists".
TV, Internet, whatever, let me discovering new artists. But I never know if I'll find the album in France... And if I find it the stores, or iTunes give me only 20 seconds to listen a song ... OUCH !!
My first thesis was about the relationships between Internet and the Disc. I wanted to understand WHY the people preferred to download rather than buy.So, I investigated.
For my investigation, I wrote a survey that was asking "WHY????"
I sent it to all my friends, family, co-workers. Everybody !
Majority answered :
- because I heard about this artist and can't find the CD in France.
- I want to listen freely this album before buying it.
F.Y.I, in France, we don't have a lot of legal website to listen freely music, like Lastfm.com. We had some, and they closed, because of copyrights. Other opened since, but, I have to admit that it's not very good ... (ok, it's because I'm very fussy, the artists or songs that I'm looking for... well never find it ...)
Another answer was :
- because a CD is very expensive (around €20), sometimes it's just a 8 track record, or there is only one good song and the others are bad ! I don't want to pay !
I HATE THAT ANSWER !!!!
Ok, a CD can be expensive, €20...
Specially when it's a 8 track CD, or when there is "only one good song on it" !
Ok, you prefer to listen to the entire CD before buying it, that's Ok, I do the same !
But what is €20 ?
- the artist/band record songs in a studio, this studio is a rent and has to be maintained.
- the artist/band use instruments, this is another maintain and investments.
- the artist/band work with different engineers, they need a salary, don't they ?
- the artist/band record a master, and this master needs to be mixed and then to be duplicate to become the CD.
- the master needs a cover, so an illustrator (and so salary) or photoshoot (and so studio or another place, and a photographer, and so, salary)
... (after that there is also all the promotion/communication around the CD ... sooooooo expensive !!! - it was my second thesis "How to have a good promotion for an album, without money ! - )
I think that with all those spendings, a CD can be sold €20, even if it's a 8 track CD.
Everytime the artist sells a CD, a part of the €20 goes back to the production, to him and to the future tour.
If people keep downloading:
no more money, no more production, no more tours !
The "€20 for just one song" excuse is bullshit !
Today, almost all the songs can be downloaded one by one on every legal websites !
Since a year or two, French record companies heard this "€20 is too expensive" and reduced the price of the CD.
When the CD is a novelty, it price is around €13 or €15 during 3 months. After that, you pay it €20 or more. And then, around 10 months later, you can buy it €7, 9 or 10. And you can find some offers "one for 10, 3 for 20" ...
Believe me, since the first day of that kind of sale, my bank account is empty !
I admit downloading. But I keep the files the time I listen to the album.
If I like it, I delete them and buy the CD, in stores or via a website like amazon or whatever.
The second article was about cinema, and you know what ?I don't believe in it at all.
Let me explain.
They were presenting "new theatre halls" with better seats, more place between the rows, 3D movies, blah blah blah. And, they were saying "That will bring the public back to the theatre, they will stop downloading movies !"
WTF ?
Why people are downloading movies (or series) ?
Because of the price ?
Yes and no.
I think that people accept to pay around €9 (or 10 or 12) to watch a movie.
I think that, with that price, they don't think about the production of the movie (almost the same, but more expensive) but think about the theatre hall, and all it equipment and maintain.
So why ?
To me. Because of TIME !!
You hear about a movie (a foreign one) and want to see it. You will have to wait around 6 months between the release in the English countries (if it's an American movie) and the release in France. Sometimes, you can wait more, or never see it in theatre ! And forget about seeing it in it original version ! It's barely impossible ! Whatever the language is ! (Lucky me, one theatre in Versailles broadcast the movies only in their original versions !! English, Italian, Spanish, German, everything !!!)
And that's why, week after week, I hate a little bit more French cinemas ! How many time did I find the French version sooooooooo bad !! A movie (or series) can lost so much with a bad dubbing !
I think that I'm a serieshoolic.
Here is my problem :
- SOA : France ended season 1 a year ago, and I think they never talked about the 2nd... The 3rd will begin next week in the US.
- True Blood : France ended season 1, I think they didn't begin the 2nd on paying channel ... The last episode of 3rd season is this Sunday in the US...
- Desperate Housewives : Canal + broadcast the 6th ... You have to pay for Canal+, M6 (free channel) broadcast 4th or 5th ... (5th I think) because Canal + had the exclusivity of the series and so, M6 has to wait ... Season 7 will begin in few weeks ...
- CSI : TF1 (free channel) stopped the broadcast in the middle of 9th ... They still broadcast the series, but in untidiness ... So nice to have season 7 followed by season 2 and then by season 4 ! (this year, it will be season 11 ! Ouch !)
- How I Met Your Mother : only on paying channel ... season 3 ...
- Gossip Girl : I think they finished the season 2 ...
Series are broadcast in French, only. Except some paying channel (satellite or cable) that, sometimes, gives you the choice to chose French or English ...
It's awful to wait one year or more when you're capture in the action and suspense ! In my opinion, this is WHY people are downloading series.
I feel that you want to ask why I'm not watching it on the websites of Fox or ABC or CBS... I tried, but those websites let you watch the series only if you're an American resident ! But believe me, if one day they open themselves to other countries that's what I'll do !!
France wants to "offer" new theatre and hopes to see the public back.
Did they really understood the problem ?
3D is the future ! And what if you can't see the 3D (my Mum cannot see it because of her view trouble !)
Anyway. I'm tired of reading those articles, because everytime I'm reading a new one saying "this is the solution" I think "did they really understand the problem, this time ?"

(c) - Hadopi is from a French program for kids (yes! they made a cartoon about it to teach the kids !)
(c) - covers of my two thesis. Blue one, picture from a study by the IFPI (2005). Black one, pictures from Jarring Effects and city of Lyon.
If you think you can read it in French, tell me !
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire